The Workspace is the main control center for managing files in 010 Editor. Use the Workspace to open or close files, as well as browse for files on disk. Show or hide the Workspace by clicking the 'View > Workspace' menu option. The following sections describe the two tabs of the workspace, Files and Explorer.
The Files tab is used to open files or manage files in the editor. Four lists of files are displayed with a folder icon besides each heading. Double-click the folder title to expand or hide the list of files (the folder icon will change from open to closed or vice-versa). Each list of files is sorted by file name, but only part of the file name will be displayed if the name is too long. To see the full file name, place the mouse pointer over the name in the list. The four lists are as follows:
- Open Files - Displays a list of all files currently open in the editor. Double-clicking on a file name will activate that file and bring the corresponding Editor Window to the front. Right clicking the file will display a menu with 5 options for the file: 'Activate' brings the file to the front, 'Close' closes the file, 'Save' saves the file to disk, 'Add to Favorites' adds the file to the Favorites list (see below), and 'Properties...' displays the file properties.
- Favorite Files - Displays a list of favorite files for easy access. Files can be added to the list by right-clicking on a file in the Open Files, Recent Files, or Bookmarked Files lists and clicking the 'Add to Favorites' menu option. Remove files from the list by right-clicking on a file in the Favorites list and selecting the 'Remove from Favorites' menu item. Select 'Open' from the right-click menu or double-click the file name to open the file.
- Recent Files - Displays a list of all files which have been edited recently, but are not currently open. Double-click the file name or click 'Open' from the right-click menu to open the file in the editor. Right-clicking the file and selecting 'Add to Favorites' will add the file to the Favorites list (see above). The list of recent files can be sorted either by the order that they were accessed or sorted by file name. To sort the list in access order, right-click the Recent Files and click 'Sort Recent Files > By Time' or to sort by file name choose 'Sort Recent Files > By Name'. The number of items in the Recent Files list can be configured in the General Options dialog.
- Bookmarked Files - Displays a list of all files that contain bookmarks (see Using Bookmarks for more information). Bookmarks are saved and loaded automatically when the program exits and restarts. Double-click the file, or select 'Open' from the right-click menu to open the file in 010 Editor. From the right-click menu, select 'Add to Favorites' to add the file to the Favorites list (see above), or click 'Clear Bookmarks' to remove all bookmarks from the file.
A simplifier File Explorer is integrated directly into 010 Editor. This explorer provides an easy way to locate files on a hard drive and can be accessed by clicking the Explorer tab of the Workspace. The Explorer is divided into 3 areas:
- Directory Name - The drop-down list at the top of the window displays the current directory. To jump to another directory, enter the directory name in the field and press the Enter key. Click the down arrow to the right of the drop-down list to access a list of recent directories.
- Directory Tree - A list of all drives and directories is displayed in a tree below the Directory Name. Open or close directory items by double-clicking the directory name, or single-clicking the '+' or '-' symbols. Double-clicking on a file opens that file in the editor. Files can also be opened by right-clicking on a file name and selecting 'Open' from the popup menu. The Name, Size, Type, and Date Modified for each file are displayed in the list by scrolling to the right.
- Filter - A Filter field is displayed at the bottom of the dialog. Only the files that match this filter will be displayed in the Directory Tree. Enter a new filter in the field and press the Enter key to refresh the display. A list of previous filters can be accessed by clicking on the down-arrow located to the right of the Filter field.
The Directory Tree can be refreshed by clicking the Refresh button or pressing Alt+R.
NOTE: The Workspace is a dockable window. By clicking and dragging on the title bar of the Workspace, the window can be moved to other locations in the interface. Right-click the window and deselect the 'Allow Docking' toggle to prevent the window from docking.