Use the Text Editor Options dialog to control how the Text Editor Window operates (see Using the Text Editor for more information). Options for the Text Editor Window are also controlled by the Editor Options and the File Interface Options dialogs. To display the Text Editor Options window, click 'Tools > Options...' and select Text Editor from the list.
- Home Key Always Moves to First Column - By default, when the Home key is pressed in the Text Editor Window the cursor moves to the first non-space character on the current line. If the cursor is already at the first non-space character, pressing the Home key moves the cursor to the first column. If the Home Key Always Moves to First Column toggle is enabled the cursor will always move to the beginning of the line when Home is pressed.
- ASCII - Lists the type of linefeeds that are used when a new ASCII file is created. These linefeeds will be inserted when pressing the Enter key while editing a text file. Choices for the linefeeds include DOS (CR+LF - 0x0D0A), UNIX (LF - 0x0A), or Mac (CR - 0x0D).
- EBCDIC - Controls which linefeeds are used when creating a new EBCDIC file. Choices include DOS (CR+LF - 0x0D25), UNIX (LF - 0x25), or NEL (0x15).
- Unicode - Set which linefeeds to use when a new Unicode file is created. Choices include DOS (CR+LF - 0x000D000A), UNIX (LF - 0x000A), Mac (CR - 0x000D), NEL (0x0085), FF (0x000C), LS (0x2028), or PS (0x2029).
- Insert Date Format - This option controls the format of the date when inserted with the 'Edit > Insert Date/Time' menu option. The following character codes can be used when setting the date format:
- h - hour without leading zero
- hh - hour with leading zero
- m - minute without leading zero
- mm - minute with leading zero
- s - second without leading zero
- ss - second with leading zero
- AP - either AM or PM
- ap - either am or pm
- d - day without leading zero
- dd - day with leading zero
- ddd - short day (e.g. 'Mon')
- dddd - long day (e.g. 'Monday')
- M - month without leading zero
- MM - month with leading zero
- MMM - short month (e.g. 'Jan')
- MMMM - long month (e.g. 'January')
- yy - 2-digit year
- yyyy - 4-digit year
- Insert Color Format - This option determines the format of a color when inserted using the 'Edit > Insert Color' menu option. The following special codes are available for use within the color format:
- RR - insert the red component of the color in hex notation
- GG - insert the green component of the color in hex notation
- BB - insert the blue component of the color in hex notation
- Maximum Line Length - When using the Text Editor with Word Wrap turned off, any long lines in the file will be split into multiple lines in the editor. Any line that is generated by splitting a long line is indicated by a '-' mark in the Address area on the left side of the editor. The maximum length of each line before it is split can be specified using the Maximum Line Length field. Any line length can be used but note that using very long lines may cause performance issues on some computers.
Press the Reset button to return all Text Editor Options to their default values.